Sunday, September 28, 2008

Theme song for my life

It has been a few days since I have had any revelations to talk about. I spend a lot of time thinking and trying to figure out what being 40 is supposed to mean for me. My head lies to me and says that girl you aren't 40 you are only 21 and you know it. Then I roll out of bed and I remember that I am indeed not 21 any longer. I have decided that there are a few things I need to finish that I started years ago and life got in the way and I never actually finished. I have decided to embrace what life has let slip away from me and I am going to go back to college. I have even found a program that will pay for it. I have the opportunity to go to college for free. It is amazing. I prayed for God to find a way for me to be able to figure out what is next for me then the next day in my email is a message from a friend of mine about a program that the University of Pennsylvania has that will help me go back and finish what I started over 20 years ago. I will be a college student once again. And it feels pretty good. My husband is supporting my decision to go full time and my son and myself will do our homework together. I feel like it is time for me to do what I intended to do so long ago. Now I just need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe an astronaut or a RN or maybe even an Indian Chief! But whatever direction I chose to follow I know it will end up in a place of great pride. This feels really good. Another message I received via God was a song by of all people Kid Rock. I am not a Kid Rock fan. I am way past enjoying his musical tastes. But while watching Ellen the other day he sung a new song called "Roll On" And it really spoke to me. The words were exactly what I needed to hear. Life is a roller coaster. And you need to go with the flow. There are times of great highs and times of great lows but life Rolls on. Regardless. And it is up to us to find a way to weather the storm. So thanks Kid Rock. You have found a way to give me direction and purpose and to hear what my heart was trying to tell me. I appreciate it.

Roll On- By Kid Rock


Sittin here alone
I'm lookin back on where I've roamed
And laughin, oh how I swore
I'd win and not get burned.
Left my family, left my home
I worked my fingers to the bone
And there was not a stone
I did not leave unturned.

And I was having a good time
Oh, Roll On, roll on, roller coaster
We're one day older
and one step closer.
Roll on, there's mountains to climb
Roll on, were on borrowed time.
So roll on, roll on rollercoaster,
Roll on tonight

Money and success
I don't complain about the stress
I wanted this and now its here
So I don't bitch.
And I swear that time's a trick
It disappears oh so quick
Man I was just 16,
Now I'm staring at 36.
But I'm still having a good time! (Good time!)

Oh, Roll On, roll on, roller coaster
We're one day older
and one step closer.
Roll on, there's mountains to climb
Roll on, were on borrowed time.
So roll on, roll on rollercoaster,
Roll on tonight

And I know it's hard to see with the sun in your eyes
But one day you're gonna say I saw the light

And now headin' for the hill
And I just cannot wait until
My children grow up to have children of their own
And I'll be telling them about
The times I turned the party out
And how I stood against an army all alone
Drinkin' wine and stayin' high
And realized it couldn't last
And how I turned myself around
And went down another path
And the signs we must observe
When life's changes do occur
But most of all I'll tell them
Just how proud I am of them
And always have a good time
It's all love and good times
Let's all have a good time Yeah

Roll on Roll on Roller Coaster
We're one day older and one step closer
Roll on there's mountains to climb
Roll on we're on borrowed time
Roll on Roller coaster
Roll on tonight
Roll on tonight

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey gurl, its Omari.

That is WONDERFUL thats you are going back to school!! i'm very happy for you. its never too late to be what you wanna be. i tell my mother that because she loves to decorate the house and create these beautiful flower arrangements. she thinks she's too old to make this go anywhere, but i told her its about initiative!

40 aint a spring chicken, but it aint that damn old either. calm down, you aint old as dirt yet. LOL. be proud of what you are now, dont think of what you used to be. that doesnt help anything. BE YOU, regardless of what people think. YOU KNOW thats what i do!! LOL.

So relax with Kid Rock and all the other music you love....we'll all be okay. :)

Karen said...

You're never too old to go back to school Jers. That's pretty inspiring actually and think of how much more you'll appreciate the experience. Plus all of the new friends you are going to make! Maybe you can do an exchange to Canada! :)